Kano state targets 1.2m farmers for agro-pastoral project

The Kano state government has said that 1.2 million farmers would benefit from the State Agro-Pastoral Development Project (KSADP), a project supported by Islamic Development Bank (IsDB).
The state Deputy Governor, Dr Nasiru Yusuf-Gawuna, who disclosed this in Kano, said the five-year project, would assist in boosting agricultural productivity and livestock production in the state.
“More than 200,000 farmers so far have benefitted from the programme. We provided them with improved seeds, fertilizers and agrochemicals, in most cases free of charge,” he said.
Yusuf-Gawuna, also the state commissioner of agriculture, said that the project would also assist in reducing poverty among people, including settling herdsmen at Dansoshiya forest in the state.
“We are going to establish an international market for meat and milk to boost livestock production. The government has already commenced construction work in the forest, settling them in one place will address farmers/herdsmen clashes.
“We will construct dams that will serve as watering points for their animals in the forest. We are also constructing schools for the nomads’ children, as well as, clinics and veterinary clinics to improve their living condition,” he said.
The deputy governor also said that the government had screened about 5,000 farmers to benefit from another project to be implemented in collaboration with Sasakawa.
“Out of what each farmer require in this project, 70 per cent will be provided as interest free loans, while the remaining 30 per cent will be provided as grant,” he said.
Yusuf-Gawuna noted that the government was also partnering with the World Bank on the Agro Processing, Productivity Enhancement and Livelihood Improvement Support (APPEALS).
“We have trained over 50,000 farmers on modern farming techniques and provided some of them with tractors on ownership bases to boost agricultural mechanisation.
“We formed the farmers into associations and linked them to tractor hire purchase groups so that they can even go out of the state to work and make money,” he said.
Yusuf-Gawuna said that over 400 women farmers were also trained on tomato production, using new Greenhouse technology with a view to improve their livelihoods.
He said the government had selected 1, 700 youths and women to enjoy its support in poultry and fish farming, adding that out of the number, 100 were Physically Challenged Persons.
The deputy governor said the administration would continue to accord agriculture top priority for improved productivity and poverty reduction among the people.